Position Title: Executive Assistant to the President & CEO
Company: Visit SLO CAL
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA
Functional Area: Administration
Reports To: President & CEO
Employment Type: Full-Time Exempt
Education Required: Four-Year Related Degree (or equivalent experience)
Experience Required: 2+ Years
Salary Range: $50,000 – $65,000 annual salary plus benefits, DOE
Description of the Organization:
Visit SLO CAL (VSC) is the non-profit countywide destination marketing and management organization (DMMO) for San Luis Obispo County. Its mission is to “Inspire travel and foster our unique experiences to create life-long ambassadors and economic growth for San Luis Obispo County.” Its goal is to promote San Luis Obispo County through marketing, advertising, public relations, group sales, promotions, events and sponsorship, branding the region as a choice destination for regional, national and international travelers alike. Visit SLO CAL works in partnership with tourism industry-related businesses including lodging properties, restaurants, wineries, breweries, activities, local community destination marketing organizations and the state tourism organization, Visit California, to create a unified marketing approach that promotes the culinary, coastal and cultural assets of the county. For more information, visit SLOCAL.com.
Are you five steps ahead of everyone else at all times?
Do you enjoy serving others and using your skills to ensure the success of an organization and its leader? Do you have experience in ‘pressure cooker’ situations – and can maintain a cool head?
Are you a person with numerous, detailed skill sets who can juggle multiple projects at once, giving each the attention it deserves?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, you are an ideal candidate for the Executive Assistant to the President & CEO position at Visit SLO CAL. This position offers an exciting opportunity for a talented, driven, passionate, detail-oriented and collaborative individual. While the hours are long, this position is integral to supporting the work of the organization.
Here’s what your day will look like
The Executive Assistant to the President & CEO is an invaluable member of the team, working alongside and independently from the President & CEO in an extremely fast-paced, multi-tasking role. Incredible communication skills are essential, considering the President & CEO travels as many as 20 days per month, including overseas. As a salaried position this role’s traditional schedule is Monday-Friday 8am – 5pm, but the required commitment often exceeds 50 hours per week. Availability during the President & CEO’s travel is also critical, and the compensation offered takes those long hours and availability into account. Executive and administrative tasks are the primary day-to-day job duties for this position as you work to clear the path so the President & CEO can make his greatest contribution to the business. The role is key to the President & CEO in anticipating needs at an exceptionally high level, allowing him to develop vision and strategy for all aspects of the organization. The most important responsibilities are ensuring that administrative tasks and projects are completed with a high level of efficiency, confidentiality, accuracy, flexibility and positivity in order to support the initiatives of the President & CEO. In addition, this role communicates with all positions in the office, with government organizations and strategic partners throughout the county.
We seek a person who is diligent, friendly and has the ability to take constructive criticism turning it into action. Together we are working to increase the awareness of SLO CAL as a destination and this role is a vital part of achieving our success.
Executive Knowledge: The Executive Assistant to the President & CEO will have a high attention to detail and accuracy, using their existing experience dealing with confidential information and supporting C-Suite Executives to provide informed administrative support.
Quality Communication: The Executive Assistant to the President & CEO must be an excellent communicator, in both written and oral form. This includes exceptional proficiency in spelling, grammar, punctuation, editing and proof-reading. This also includes being able to take a large amount of information and summarize it quickly both in writing and orally on a daily basis. You must also be able to track communication (and be extremely responsive) across multiple channels without losing any details. Those channels include in-person meetings, virtual video and phone calls, project management systems, text messages and/or emails.
High Level of Discretion: Since our Executive Assistant to the President & CEO will regularly work with confidential information, discretion and sensitivity is a must.
Team Player: In addition to working directly with the President & CEO, you will also work with members of the Leadership Team, general staff, strategic partners, and the industry. You will need to be able to collaborate and communicate well with these groups, maintaining a can-do spirit and not complaining, making excuses, or gossiping.
Anticipating Needs: As a part of our commitment to enabling our CEO to serve our organization and industry at the top of his game, our Executive Assistant to the President & CEO will strive to anticipate needs and eliminate professional and personal friction whenever possible. This means you know how to stay five steps ahead of your leader, clearing the path for him to make his greatest contribution each day.
Affinity for Technology: Our Executive Assistant to the President & CEO will be a technologically savvy Mac user and will not be intimidated by learning new technology. Proficiency in the following tech platforms is ideal: Asana, Concur, Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite and Bamboo HR. CRM experience is also ideal.
President & CEO Support:
- Provide day-to-day proactive and reactive administrative support, while anticipating the President & CEO’s needs at an exceptionally high level
- Meeting management including preparing agendas, presentations, reports, taking notes, distributing action items and arranging meetings and materials
- Communicate on behalf of the President & CEO, both internally and externally
- Email management on behalf of the President & CEO, prioritizing and assigning emails to team members for completion and follow up as needed
- Complex calendar management, across multiple time zones, and scheduling (both professionally and personally) on behalf of the President & CEO
- Varying professional and personal administrative tasks including, but not limited to, booking appointments, research projects, coordinating domestic and international travel, order flowers/gifts, etc.
- Running errands and attending in-person meetings throughout the week
- Monthly expense reporting and credit card reconciliation on behalf of the President & CEO
- Project management and follow up of key organizational and leadership team deliverables and responsibilities necessary to the President & CEO
- Manage confidential information while providing organizational professionalism and support
- Manage priorities consistent with Strategic Direction 2020
- Transcribe and distribute meeting minutes as appropriate
- Interface with the organization’s investors, partners, tourism members, sponsors and prospects by responding promptly to all tourism and visitor service-related requests via email, phone, etc. as appropriate
- Maintain key contact lists
- Answer, vet and direct phone calls
- Manage and maintain electronic and manual filing systems
- Facilitate, organize and manage collection of data and key information
- General administrative support, as directed
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.B.A./B.S./B.A.) from four-year college or university in business, hospitality & tourism management, sales, marketing or related field
- Minimum of two (2) consecutive years of c-suite executive administrative experience in a fast-paced environment (ideally in the tourism/hospitality industry)
- Superior organizational skills, attention to detail and an ability to be proactive and anticipate needs
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Willingness to work 50+ hours per week regularly, including some evenings and occasional weekends; ability to travel as required on a limited basis
- Ability to read, analyze, articulate and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals and technical procedures
- Daily use and technical proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access) and standard computer skills (i.e., electronic mail, word processing, database development, internet usage, etc.) required
- Detail-oriented, methodical, proactive and extremely organized work style
- Talent for tracking, multi-tasking and the ability to pivot quickly in a rapidly-changing environment
- Problem solving skills and ability to propose and direct successful solutions
- Ability to work autonomously, yet collaborate with others as needed
- Strong drive and a tendency to thrive in a very fast-paced, ambitious environment
- Professional, adventurous, positive and confident attitude
Visit SLO CAL, an equal opportunity employer, offers an exciting opportunity for qualified, career-motivated professionals. We provide competitive compensation and the chance to work with talented people in a successful, fast-paced and pleasant environment. We offer many premium benefits including medical, dental, life insurance, 401K, vacation time and much more.