- Competitive salary, plus incentive package commensurate with experience.
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
About Experience Rochester:
Rochester, Minnesota’s Convention and Visitors Bureau (Experience Rochester) was recently re-imagined and redefined into a convention and visitors corporation, responsible for the sales, marketing and management of the Mayo Civic Center (MCC) as well as group sales and marketing for the entire destination. Over the last year, the City has worked with the Corporation to transition to this new model and has put in place a new Board of Directors, President, management company (ASM Global) and food and beverage provider (Spectra). This new, more comprehensive destination management organization is beginning its first full year of operations January 1, 2020. The Corporation will be an engine for sales efforts and management of the MCC as well as a leader, convener and collaborator for all aspects of destination marketing and the visitor experience. Under the guidance of the Board of Directors and the President, Experience Rochester is seeking to fill a newly created Vice President of Sales position.
About the Mayo Civic and Convention Center:
With nearly 200,000 available square feet of multi-use space for conventions and events, the Mayo Civic Center is the largest event facility in Southern Minnesota. In 2017, the Mayo Civic Center underwent an $84 million expansion, nearly doubling the size of available space with the addition of a 40,000 square foot ballroom (now, the largest in the State of Minnesota), 14 new meeting rooms and pre-function spaces for networking and lounging. Groups are also able to enjoy hosting outdoor meetings or social events on our new Riverfront Plaza.
In addition to the new convention center, our floor plan includes a variety of versatile venue spaces including a 5,000 seat arena; 2,400 seat auditorium & the 1,080 seat performing arts center; as well as a 25,200 square foot Exhibit Hall. Easy accessibility, state-of-the-art technology and an exceptional level of professional service ensure the success of any meeting, party or large event.
Summary of Position:
The Vice President of Sales functions as a strategic business leader of the Corporation’s executive leadership team and oversees the sales department. The Vice President of Sales is responsible for the overall sales efforts and operations of the sales team. The principle responsibility of the VP is to administer the production of a sales team to achieve specific annual objectives for the Mayo Civic Center and broader hotel impact goals for Rochester hotels. As a member of the executive leadership team, the Vice President of Sales assists in developing and implementing strategies, in conjunction with the Corporation’s additional executive leadership team members that deliver return on investment in convention and tourism sales.
The Vice President of Sales will shape the structure, operations, and programming of the Corporation’s sales efforts under the leadership of the President with the active engagement of the hotel industry and Convention Center Management and F&B partners; ASM Global and Spectra. The Vice President of Sales will develop annual production goals for room night sales, leads and bookings that align with the overall mix of business and budget projections for the MCC. Effectively manage strategic tactics to maximize the Sales Budget and the production goals of the Sales Team. The Vice President of Sales will have strong involvement in industry events and speaking engagements to continually promote Rochester. The VP will also be responsible for the following:
- Develop appropriate sales strategies along with development and enforcing standard operating procedures necessary to achieve the overall departmental goals as outlined in the marketing plan.
- Responsible for teams’ overall production in order to meet Corporation’s goals.
- Facilitate and conduct weekly sales meetings.
- Administrative management of sales team to include: reviews of direct reports, expense report approval, daily sales activities (reports, call tracking, sites, training, etc.)
- Development and implementation of sales training and programs to motivate sales team and enhance sales team performance.
- Exhibit expertise of Rochester as a meetings and convention destination.
- Exhibit expertise of the Mayo Civic Center and the Corporation’s management structure in order to provide a seamless sales and booking experience on behalf of the Corporation.
- Redevelop, as needed, work within, enforce, and enhance the guidelines of the Corporation’s Booking Policy.
- Business development: prospect and identify key clients to pursue for Rochester and create prospect goals for the entirety of the sales team.
- Oversee booking and selling of all social events.
- In coordination with F&B General Manager, oversee Senior Catering Sales Manager.
- Assist/Aide sales managers in strategizing and closing business for Rochester and the MCC.
- Facilitate monthly DOS Meetings with Rochester hotels.
- Work with all Corporation departments on preparation of the annual marketing plan; Meeting Planners Guide, other collateral and trade advertising.
- Work with other Corporation departments in order to enhance the client’s overall convention experience and achieve maximum customer satisfaction.
- Represent Corporation at industry events and organizations when appropriate.
- Work with President to establish budget and review procedures to include measurements, forecasting, and accountability for sales team.
- Oversee and manage the division budget for the sales team and all related sales efforts.
- Act as the staff liaison to the Corporation CVB Board Committees where appropriate.
- Attend regularly scheduled Corporation Board of Directors’ meetings.
- Other duties as determined by the President.
*Management Characteristics: *
The Vice President of Sales must have a history of demonstrated success in the administration of convention sales. The role is best filled by a seasoned sales professional demonstrating strong leadership skills and a work ethic that builds consensus internally and externally. The Vice President should also exhibit:
- Excellent social and professional skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Effective communicator and listener
- Excellent coaching skills
- Creative sales professional
- Strong organizational skills
- High self-motivation and risk taking
- Strong history of identifying prospecting and sourcing new business
- Exhibit deep passion for the work, selling Rochester, the MCC and working within new organizational model
- Able to maintain a pulse on latest industry trends and current events
- Possess a sense of humor and humility
*Other Duties/Responsibilities: *
- Industry involvement in order to increase Corporation visibility
- Network and build relationships with supporters, clients, and associates
- Create and maintain a positive working environment
- Expectation to work full-time in the Corporation’s offices in Rochester, MN
Travel: Authority to make decision on travel based on ROI. (For own travel or Direct Reports Travel) working within the overall budget
*Supervisory Responsibilities*: Corporation sales team
Supervision: The position reports directly to the President
Ideal Background and Requirements:
- 10+ years of previous sales leadership experience with a convention center, DMO/CVB and/or major hotel company a must.
- In-depth knowledge of how to manage a large account base.
- Knowledge of both the customer side and hotel side to align customer needs to hotel and City offerings.
- Able to stay on top of current events both within Rochester and among industry.
- Able to maintain a pulse on latest trends within hotels.
- Robust competitor knowledge.
- Experience working with a customized CRM technology (account management) system such as Simpleview.
- Proficiency in using Social Media tools, smartphone and tablet devices and all Microsoft Office Tools.
- Bachelor’s degree required
Core Competencies and Characteristics Needed:
Proven consensus builder
Strong leadership skills
Exceptional communication skills
Excellent negotiation skills
Strong presentation skills
Strategic thinker & sales approach
Strong interpersonal skills
Outstanding business acumen
Strong organizational skills
__Key Priorities for the first 6 months:
- Review and become embedded in the Corporation’s new functional model as a member of the executive leadership team.
- Build relationships within the hospitality community, key stakeholders and staff.
- Review and understand individual and team goals and execute them.
- Work with sales team and stakeholders to develop the future Corporation sales strategy.
- Develop quick-win goals for this position and achieve.
- Implement a highly-functional sales prospecting plan to achieve annual booking goals.
NOTES: Additional Salary Information: Competitive salary, plus incentive package commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off